Monday, May 01, 2006

Strange Findings....

See I have this really bad bad habit of picking my head (i know i know gross!!!!) Which is something I've done since I was itty bitty. Well Laura caught me yesterday, and she said that there is a disorder for that. I looked at her and said "I have an actual disorder?". She said "Um..Yea, I believe it's called Compulsive Skin Picking". Well of course me being the courious person I am, I looked that up today. Yup there's an actual disorder for it, and it's in the OCD family.

What's sad is that I answered Yes to the following things for regular OCD (maybe I should see someone about this?).

Do you often recite prayers or repeat certain phrases in an effort to rid yourself of unwanted thoughts or to ensure that nothing bad happens?

Yes when I hear or read something that upsets me, and I don't want to think about it I state a phrase over and over and over again, until i can forget it, then I forget that I'm saying that phrase over and over again...hmmmm....

Do you wash your hands or shower more often or for longer periods of time than most other people?

Yes, I use sanitizer all the time here at work. And when I'm at home I can walk into the kitchen and see the soup and stated "I need to wash my hands" so I wash my hands. Then maybe 3 seconds later, I will walk into the bathroom and see that soup and stated to myself "I need to wash my hands" so I rewash my hands. I didn't realize I do this until i read this question...hmmmm again....


Do you repeatedly visually check to be sure you have properly performed a just-completed task (e.g., looking to be sure you have signed a check, re-opening a mailbox to be sure you have deposited a letter, etc.)?

Yes to this answer, and um...i don't have an explanation on this.

Do you often repeat routine behaviors (e.g., locking doors, turning off light switches, turning off stove burners, etc.) because you are not sure you have done these behaviors or done them "just right"?

Yes I unplug my curling Iron everday before I leave the bathroom, not only do I unplug it I turn it off, so a normal person would think, Okay I'm safe, I make sure every appliance in the kitchen is unpluged, and I make sure all doors are locked. I'll get into my car and think to myself "DId i unplug the toaster? Did I unplug the Curling Iron?" And I'll go back upstairs to only find that I did. I've even called my parents to go over and check to see if I did these things. This is an every day thing for me.....hmmmm....
Do you frequently ask others for reassurance that tasks have been properly completed (e.g., "Did I lock the door?" "Did I shut the windows?" etc.)

Yes see above


Do you repeatedly count mundane items that do not really merit counting (e.g., ceiling tiles, floor tiles, books, records, clothes, light poles, cars, etc.)?

Yes, I count the tiles on my ceiling every night and every night it's the same number 97....you'd think i would stop doing it. If there are big squares in the concert I count how many steps it takes me to walk through that square.

Do you have great difficulty discarding things that have no practical value and that most other people would consider trash (e.g., old newspapers or magazines, receipts, useless papers, clothing you have not worn in years, empty food containers, etc.)?

Just ask Laura, she knows I KEEP EVERYTHING!!! My mom used to yell at me all the time and asked "Is there a reason why You are keeping this little piece of paper?" and I always came up with an excuse to keep it.

SO, yea, it's wierd to be answering these questions. Wierd and scarey!!!

Website I was looking at....www.ocdla.com

4 of you stopped by and said:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger BarnGoddess said...

yep, weird! I think I answered yes to more than one of those questions....

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger bethanie said...

I think we all have a little OCD in us. I count things way too much. For some reason I only count to 5 then start over. I keep track of how many sets of 5 there are?

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I agree with bethanie, we all have a bit of OCD. For me it's shopping....Yep..I like to shop and buy stuff WAY in advance beacuse I hate to run out of things. For instance, I will buy cat food for 2 months at a time. One of my kitties was abused before I adopted him in New Orleans and he is SO finicky about what he eats...So when I find the fancy feast flavors he will eat I'll buy 50 or more cans at a time. Right now I could feed just him for 2 months I have 2 other cats....so imagine my supplies.

As to your ? on my blog, mom and dad live in Louisiana and I am in Ga...so the flowers were what I thought I could do quickly. So any other ideas by mail???

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling I love you. We all have OCD tendencies. Some of us are just better at hiding them than others. PSSST! I have just as many answers as you. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home