Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fighting for a Cure....

As I sit here typing this my back, butt, and legs are all on fire! OUCH!

Last night was the town I work in Relay For Life, and our company participated in it. Although I only walked 1 hr (straight no stopping), I am sure paying for it now!! This year's theme was "Dr. Suess" and we were the "March of the Sneetches" once I get the picture uploaded of our banner I'll post it, but I'm not getting up again until I'm down posted, hehe.

We had a great time, there was this girl Monica who didn't have a team and asked if she could join us, we said sure! She was a nice girl, well she wasn't a girl she was a middle aged woman. But nontheless she was nice. I was the 3rd walker in our group, we had a total of 4 walkers that actually walked around the "track" it wasn't a track it was like this big oval that people normally use to cruise around on friday and saturday nights.

We had more walkers than that, but we had to pack everything up and leave at 12:15 am, because of a bad storm coming in, I don't know if the storm hit the area or not, because I live 20 miles south of the town, and all it did here was rain.

So the Relay didn't last it's normal 12 hrs like it was supposed to, but it was best being safe than sorry.

I'll most deffiantly do this again next year, what a wonderful cause this is. Everyone has had a loved one, or at least was touched in someway of knowing someone you has fought, is figting, or passed away of cancer. I have a nephew who is 10 years old who is a surivor, and I lost my grandfather 2 years ago to this horrible disease.

There was a family last night that had on bright green shirts, they weren't really in the Relay it's self. They brouhgt a bunch of supporters for a girl who was in their group who is currently fighting this disease, this touched my heart!

The survivors ranged from the elderly to the young, and to see the sea of purple shirts taking that first lap around the oval was just an awesome sight. When it was time and they light the luminarious (i don't think i spelt that right), for the ones "in memory of" and "in honor of", that was the most beautiful and sentimental monent. I this year was short on funds and was not able to buy my grandfather an In Memory Of one for him. I was walking around the track while they started lighted the candles in the bags, I just looked up in the sky and told him silenlyt that I love him and we all miss him.

So since I was not able to buy one last night I have found a picture off the net and I will post it here today...

I dedicate this in memory of my Grandfather who was 83 when he passed away.

Kenneth W. M Born January 19.1920 Enter into Rest on December 17, 2003.

We all love you grandpa!!!

2 of you stopped by and said:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger BarnGoddess said...

great post! I lost my mother to cancer just before I turned 12 yo, she was only sick for 2 and a half months before she died. Thanks for doing the walk!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad you did that walk, too. My mother had cancer three times before she passed and both my sisters have had it. I lost 2 uncles (my mother's brothers) to lymphoma, too. It is touching you took the time to remember your grandpa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home