Friday, September 01, 2006

Plan B

I'm a little behind in the past weeks news, I buy all the news papers every sunday with my laundry money (good use for it huh?!) I was reading an article in the USA Today paper from last weekend, and I'm still in the state of awe, confusion, and conflicted, on the whole issue.

The Food and Drug Adminsitration announced Thursday that it will allow Plan B emergency contraception to be sold over the counter to anyone 18 and older but only by prescription to girls under 18, an age restriction that some observers call either unnecessary or easily circumvented.

Plan B, approved as a prescription drug in 1999, contains a higher dose of hormone found in many birth control pills. It greatly reduces the risk of pregnancy iif taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse but is even more effective when taken sooner.

In the 12 months ending Juney 30, approximately 1.5 million prescriptions were written for Plan B, which now costs $25 to $40. Plan B will be sold only at pharmacies and only when a pharmacist is on duty, kept behind the counter, so customers have to ask for it. FDA had plenty of evidence that Plan B is saft for girls 13 and up.
- USA TODAY (This is just bits and pieces of the article)


Okay my thoughts on this whole "Morning After Pill" that we all know it as, is this: I don't see why anyone should be allowed just to go into a pharmacy and ask for this drug, even if they are 18 or older. I have never considered myself as pro-choice or pro-life, to me it's whatever is best for the woman and her circumstances, to me I would always choice life, but that's not me, and this a debat that everyone can debate about until they are blue in the face, and still not get anywhere, that's why I normally stray far away from this topic as humanly possible.

But I feel the urge to speak my mind on this topic, I don't know why exactly, I just do. I myself do not have children nor do I use anytype of birth control to preven myself from having any children, long story won't go into it. BUT I am a strong believer in that the "morning after pill" or as they are calling it "Plan B" should only be used under certain circumstances, such as : rape, or incestual relations (if that is a word, if not, then I came up with a pretty damn good word, lol).

Birth control, abortion, or whatever is up to the woman and her partner themselves. They can choose whatever they want, I'm not going to look down on someone if they choose do not have a child or even put it up for adoption, it is not for me to judge. But the reason why the pill was ever invented that I know of is for the 2 circumstances I just mentioned above, rape, because no woman asks to be rape, and for her carry a production of that rape around inside of her for 9 months, is just asking her to do to much, only to put it up for adoption or even to raise it, knowing that it will bring her back the horrible memories of how this bein came into the world, of the monster who striped her of her innocense and self worth. Then of course a "possible" pregnancy from the production of incest, which in itself is "Rape". To me this is why the pill SHOULD ever be used.

To be able to go in and get a Plan B contriceptive because we had a night of an "oops" or a night of "drunken stupidity" is unbelieveable in my eyes. Course I'm only blowing hot air, because even if they found out they were pregnant because of these stated circumstances, it doesn't stop them from terminating the pregnancy to begin with, BUT isn't the government making it to easy for more and more of these "oops" to be corrected? Does our government and Drug Admnistration not believe in discipline? I think that making this "PILL" acceptable to every woman is a big mistake, I believe you should still have to have a prescription for this "PILL" no matter your age, so at least you are under a careful eye of a doctor, and they know what is going on.

Please Please this is open for public repsonses I'm really curious on what you both men and woman have to say about this topic. Long comments are welcome :) and I will respond to all...as this is a very touchy topic there will be ONE RULE: PLEASE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST OTHERS IF THEY DO NOT BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE, WE EACH HAVE OUR RIGHTS TO OUR OPINIONS, BUT THAT DOESN'T GIVE US THE RIGHT TO BASH ONE ANOTHER FOR THEM: PLEASE KEEP THIS AS PEACEFUL AS POSSIBLE: PLEASE ACT LIKE THE ADULTS I KNOW YOU ARE. I DON'T WANT TO BE THE CAUSE OF HEATED DEBATES THAT WILL GET SOMEONS FEELINGS HURT IN THE LONG RUN. THANK YOU!!!!!!

YOURS TRULY

BUTTERFLYCHIC26

9 of you stopped by and said:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I will agree with you...If you can make it into a drug store for a morning after pill...why the hell can't you get there for a pack of condoms...I mean in our society the threat of STD's and AIDS alone should do more than ENCOURAGE safe sex.....

On the other hand, as a teacher.....some one night mistakes do need to be just that. A one night affair and not a sperm and egg fertilization that unfit parents can drop off for us to raise and NEVER be involved...in this case by all means prevent the miserable life some of these kids actually live...because their sperm and egg donors had too much to drink.

Sorry if I come off as crude, it really has been a week from HELL...and well if you can't be a parent full time then DO NOT expect other people to do your job.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger butterfly_chic26 said...

I absolutely agree with you on both of your points. The first being that we should take responsiblity and go to the drug store or hell even to a gas station restroom and get some condoms before we do anything, and yes this day and age with all the STD's that are out there one can NEVER be to careful! The second being, I completely agree with the aspect that kids today make the mistakes of that "one" night and the reprocution of that is an unwanted child, I am one of those "one" night passions, so I completely understand, although I was fortunate enough to be adopted into a great loveing family, rather than living my doomed life of being an unwanted child, and going in and out of the foster care system until I graduated out only because I became the legal age.

I still believe that the morning after pill should have never been accepted to be boughten at a pharmacy as an over the counter drug, or conterceptive, I think that prescribing the pill is much more efficient. Because there are going to be those out there that are going to abuse the fact that they can go get this "pill" whenever they want, and never learn to actually USE THE PROTECTION that is there for them to provent this in the first place.

You did not sound crude, I totaly understand where you are coming from. And I greatly appreciate your response to my post! And I'm sorry you had the week from hell and I give you *hugs*.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous diana said...

just think susie-q if michell took that pill. we wouldn't have Seth to play house with all those times.
and I wouldn't have a daughter that just finished her first week of school.

Just so you know Payton was a blissing in disguse. She may have been a surpise (early one at that)but couldn't imagine my life without her now.

as for this plan b pill I think that if they take it away we will end up with more babies in trash cans and unmarked graves for the littelist souls this earth has everb seen.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger butterfly_chic26 said...

Diana my sistah!!!- I understand your point of view as well. And I agree on you last comment of the unwanted babies, don't get me wrong, I believe that the "pill" will help that situatioin, and for that I'm grateful, but I still think that they are making it easy for people to fix a mistake. I have been thinking about this issue since I posted it last night, I take back the only reason why it should be used is rape or incest, if a child that is too young to care for a baby from the ages of 13 to 18 then I think that the parent of that child should be able to go in and get the morning after pill, but what child at that age is going to tell their parent that they had unprotected sex? That's the question that comes to my mind every time I try to tell my self that this pill is out there for good reason. I don't know I'm still in the state of awe, confused, and conflicted, on the whole thing.

As I stated I am not a parent, and I am on of those that do not use the protection of birth control that is out there for me, I have reasons for that decision (i did when i was younger though!). The reason for me doing this is I'm at the stage of my life that I want a child, I'm ready to care and love one, although, God, hasn't granted me that one wish, I think I may have something wrong with my baby making plumbing :(

K that was way off the topic, lol, sorry!!! I can see your point too Diana!!! Thank you so much for posting :) And remember I LOVE YOU TO DEATH MY SISTER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!!!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger pinky said...

Fair warning, I'm going to swear in this comment. Just wanted to give a heads up.

I don't think that I could be more dissappointed with our government unless they came out with a public service announcement that said, "Go ahead and fuck all you want, Plan B now available at your local Walgreens". Not only does this show a lack of responsibility to the children that are already growing up in a depraved nation, this propogates the notion that sex is a-okay.

I agree with you on the stated issues of why this pill was created in the first place. And the only way to get it was to talk to someone about what went down. It, perhaps, facilitated in women going to someone and saying, I was Raped, I was Abused, and getting help beyond just a pregnancy termination.

I whole-heartedly disagree with this. I believe that it is going to cause a generation of children that grow up being irresponsible and selfish. I also think that it may cause a rise in rape, incest, abuse, molestation and several other degrading practices because the ABUSER can go buy the pill and give it to the person abused. That is bullshit. Just plain bullshit.

I also think that this will dramatically reduce the use of condoms because not enough people are worried about STDs, they are worried about pregnancy. With Plan B easliy accessed, I think we will see a rise in STDs in younger children in America.

Okay, I think I've gotten my mad out. I think this is a fucked up plan and it is going to kick America in the nuts. Sorry for being crude, I don't normally post like that, but I'm mad. Thank you for posting this, I'm glad I now know what I facing for my daughter.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger butterfly_chic26 said...

Pinky - Thank you so much for your very passionate comment. No one should ever be sorry for what they feel or for their opinons.

I never thought about the issue that you brought up in your comment, about people forgetting the condom all together, and the rise in STD's in a whole. That issue never entered my mind, until after reading your comment.

I thank you again for your comment and as hard as it was for me to actually post this posting, as I stray from this topic at all possiblities, something was urging me to write about it. I normally always change the subject when this particular subject does come up, because to me it's an uncomfortable topic, and every one has very different opinons on it, as it normally leads to a heated discussion and someone getting their feelings hurt, but I don't think that Plan B was such a great idea, as I firmly believe that unless it is a dier emergency should be taken.

Thank you again!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Here's my two cents worth - I think the pill should be made available. Why? Because life is all about choices. Just because it is there, doesn't mean you have to choose it. But, if we didn't have a choice, then the government is AGAIN telling us what to do by not allowing us to decide.

Just remember: The character of the person is revealed by the choice(s) they make.

'Nough said.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger butterfly_chic26 said...

Rachel - thanks for the comment, and I too can see your point of veiw as well. The choice is up to the individual I do agree, and as I stated I do not judge the ones out there that make the choice, it is not my place to judge, they have to answer to a higher authority when it is all said and done, so why would I judge them?

Thank you so much for you comment!!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I agree with Rachel to the fact I think it should be available. I have had a friend use the morning after pill and if it wasn't available who knows what could have happend. The good thing about the morning after pill is that is you are already pregnant then it doesn't effect you or the baby, it basically just stops an egg from getting fertilized. I think the cost of it will helo keep it from being an everyday, or every week purchase. I think if a condom breaks or for reasons you just CAN NOT be pregnant then it is a good option. I think life is about options and accepting the consaquences (SP!) of those options

 

Post a Comment

<< Home